It’s fair to say I’ve NOT been giving allotmenting much of a priority for the last six months or so. Unlike my actual proper job, whatever that is, gardening isn’t really something you can do remotely and my priorities lately have involved travelling lots. And I kind of think that’s OK, if you’re doing this as a hobby and your local council has an incredibly laid-back approach towards overgrown allotments. I never wanted to make this into a job or a chore, because I think that’s when you start to lose your enjoyment of it. My approach has always been ‘I’ll do what I can, when I can’.
But I’ve not been lazy, friends. As I mentioned in my last post, I was in Connemara, volunteering and learning a lot about gardening (I’ve been doing around 50% of the basics totally wrong, by my estimation). I absolutely loved it, met some great people, and in some ways feel I’ve come back to the UK a bit too soon.
But in terms of what awaited me on the allotment, I couldn’t have come back soon enough. I always knew that leaving it for 5 weeks wasn’t going to be popular with my vegetables, and I don’t really have any regrets there, but there was a lot of work to be done, as I reflected when I had to cut a path through the weeds to even access the allotment. Luckily, my enthusiasm’s been reignited a bit, plus I like to believe I’ve become physically stronger recently, so I took the opportunity to get started.
I usually spend December planning out next year’s allotment, but life kind of caught up with me this year, so I’m basically planning as I go and taking a look at the various seeds I have (I’m terrible for buying in bulk when they’re on sale in September and then never using them). As you’ll be able to see immediately because of my artistic skills, there are two fairly big changes: one is that I moved the ‘wildflower patch‘. It had become a bit too wild, to be honest, and was instead an awful mess of roots.
I’m less than optimistic about the survival chances of the lettuce (in my head I’m calling it ‘goth lettuce’ because it’s a cool colour but it probably has a proper name) but the important thing is that it’s now a usable bed, and I’ve moved the wildflower patch up a bit, closer to the peas and potatoes (where it’ll hopefully be more useful), and fingers crossed, there’ll be actual flowers in it rather than weeds I was pretending were wildflowers because I was too lazy to do anything about them.
According to my grandmother’s wisdom, you should move a strawberry patch every four years, and this is the fourth year I’ve been attempting to grow stuff, so off it went. Also, it had to move because it looked awful and was more weeds than strawberries. They’re in a much sunnier part of the allotment now and I’m thinking of planting herbs that can tolerate shade where they were, near the fence.
And that’s basically it really – watering, weeding, and explaining to guests why I’ve got garlic on the washing line (I keep meaning to bring it in a dry it in a more normal location, I think my brain just goes ‘This line is meant for drying stuff, whether it’s clothes or garlic’). The only experimental thing I’m growing this year is kalettes, which I’ve only eaten once before. Both kale and sprouts have grown well in previous years so I’m cautiously optimistic about their weird offspring.